Saturday, July 30, 2011

Looking out for the Future

As of Monday, I have been dating my wonderful boyfriend, Andrew, for seven months. That is a "long term" relationship in my eyes. In the past, any relationship I might have had never lasted more than 4 months, and honestly, I knew they were about over by the 3rd. While things here are going well, there have been some things that have come up that I had not encountered in the past (neither has he really), that we are sort of dealing with that I wanted to write about. I thought our experiences might inspire others.

Tuesday night, we had a very long phone conversation about how we wanted to live our lives in certain areas. We come from different backgrounds, but we're both Christian and want to live in a way that honors God and the things He has given us. Andrew started feeling convicted about some things that he owned. It's mainly some DVD's and comics that are really not "family appropriate". Maybe is wasn't a big deal when it was just him, but he felt that owning this stuff would have a negative affect on our life together as well as that of our children. I started thinking about some of my things. I'm on a vacation right this second, but I plan on getting rid of anything like that I own as well. I think there's three seasons of Family Guy that could make their way into the Goodwill box. We made an important decision about our future life: we aren't going to have cable the first year we're married. It's a big money-saving effort, and many things are available on the internet now. We would rather have NetFlix or something similar and choose something to watch TOGETHER rather than coming home everyday and habitually staring at the "idiot-box". Also, just think of all the time we'll have to spend working on projects at home, reading books, doing other things that might benefit other people, etc.

Our future family is very important to us. I come from a very small family in Keyser, WV while Andrew has a larger extended family that all lives on the same road in Doddridge County, WV. We're not perfect people...we both gave up on that a LONG time ago. We're just trying to look out for our future a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment